This boot camp provides an end to end training for Microsoft Business Intelligence with the latest technologies of Microsoft SQL Server 2016 and Power BI. This boot camp includes many hands-on labs to facilitate the training for student. Topics and technologies below will be covered in this training;
- Data Warehouse and Dimensional Modeling
- ETL: Extract, Transform, and Load with SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
- Modeling Data with SQL Server Analysis Services (Tabular Model and Multi-Dimensional Model)
- DAX and MDX
- Paginated Reporting with SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS)
- Power BI for self-service reporting and dashboards
- Data Quality Services
- Master Data Services
$2900 NZD plus GST
There is no prerequisite for this course. You can start this course as a novice in Microsoft BI.
Students should bring their laptop to install latest version of Microsoft SQL Server and Power BI on it. All the materials of the course will be shared with student.
Details of the course
Module 1: Data Warehouse and Dimensional Modeling
In this module, you will learn what is data warehouse, the requirement for data warehouse and why it is required, things that you have to consider for designing data warehouse. You will learn about dimensional modeling and techniques for designing the data warehouse based on real-world use case scenarios. This module includes but not limited to:
- Why Data Warehouse?
- Dimensional Modeling
- Fact and Dimension Tables
- Star Schema vs Snowflake
- Grain of tables
- Designing the first data warehouse
- Surrogate key
- Types of Fact tables
- Types of Dimension Tables
- Slowly Changing Dimension
- Bridge; Factless Fact Tables
- Common mistakes in designing data warehouse
- Kimball vs Inmon methodologies
Module 2: ETL with SQL Server Integration Services
SSIS is one of the most powerful data transformations and consolidation tools in the market. In this module, you will learn about concepts of ETL, and how to use SSIS to do it. You will learn lots of tips, tricks and techniques for real-world ETL scenarios with SSIS. This module includes but not limited to:
- ETL; Extract, Transform, Load Definition
- Introduction to SQL Server Integration Services: SSIS
- Control Flow
- Data Flow
- Slowly Changing Dimension with SSIS
- Incremental Load with SSIS
- Deployment Considerations
- Logging and troubleshooting in SSIS
- Performance Tuning
Module 3: Data Modeling with SQL Server Analysis Services
In this module, you will learn how to use SSAS for creating data models. There are two types of SSAS Tabular and multi-dimensional modeling engines. In this module, you will learn differences between these two types of modeling and you will learn how to create models with these two through many hands-on labs. This module includes but not limited to:
- OLAP Modeling and SSAS Multi-Dimensional
- MDX; Multi-Dimensional Expression language
- Cube Development
- Tabular Modeling; SSAS Tabular
- DAX; Data Analysis Expression Language
- Tabular Development
Module 4: Reporting and Dashboard Design with SSRS and Power BI
Microsoft Business Intelligence leverage two powerful tools for reporting and dashboard design. In this module, you will learn how to create paginated reporting (best for printing and scheduled reports) with Reporting Services of SQL Server, and dashboard design and self-service reporting with Power BI. This module includes but not limited to:
- Reporting Services (SSRS) basics
- Parameters and Datasets
- Customization in report development
- Power BI for self-service reporting
- Visualizations in Power BI
- DirectQuery vs Import Data
- Power BI Service
- Filters and Slicers
Module 5: Data Governance with SQL Server
In this module, you will learn about Data Quality Services and Master Data Services which are services in SQL Server for providing better governance for data. You will learn how to use MDS for keeping single version of truth for your reference data, and how to overcome data quality issues with Data Quality Services. This module includes but not limited to:
- Master Data Management
- What is Master Data Services?
- Architecture of Master Data Services
- Entities, Models and relationships
- Different types of Data Quality Issues
- Data Quality Services
- Matching Projects
- Developing Data Quality projects with SQL Server 2016
Reza Rad is an Author, Trainer, Speaker and DW/BI Consultant. He has a BSc in Computer engineering; he has more than 15 years’ experience in databases, programming and development mostly on Microsoft technologies. He is a Microsoft MVP in SQL Server for six continues years (from 2011 till now) for his dedication in Microsoft BI.
His articles on different aspects of technologies, especially on MS BI, can be found on his blog: https://radacad.com/blog.
He wrote some books on MS SQL BI and also is writing some others, He is also an active member on online technical forums such as MSDN and Experts-Exchange, and is a moderator of MSDN SQL Server forums, and is a MCP, MCSE and MCITP of BI. He is the leader of New Zealand Business Intelligence users group.
He is an International Speaker in SQL Saturday and SQL users groups and Conferences like TechEd and PASS Summit. And He is a Microsoft Certified Trainer.
Reza is author of best seller book: Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Business Intelligence Development book.
Dr. Leila Etaati is Data Mining and BI Consultant, and Speaker. She has over 10 years’ experience working with databases and software systems. She was involved in many large-scale projects for big sized companies. Leila has PhD of Information System department, University of Auckland, MS and BS in computer science.
She worked in Industries including banking financial, power and utility, manufacturing … She is a lecturer and trainer in Business intelligence and data base design course in University of Auckland.
Leila speaks in international SQL Server and BI conferences such as Microsoft Ignite, PASS Rally, and many SQL Saturdays in USA, Europe, Australia, and New Zealand on Machine Learning and Analytics topics.